I had a dream this morning. I'd say last night, but that's technically inaccurate, and you are right to assume this occurred as part of my normal sleep cycle. Aaron and I were in a car; a generic Ford sedan which apparently belonged to him. He was rather upset, in that simmering way he has, although I don't recall why. It was early spring, and the ice hadn't quite broken on the farm ponds. We were talking about doing things halfway, I think. He stated that I was not being much of a friend. That he considered me his best friend, and I did not do the same for him.
Aaron drove out on to one of these fields, where the mud was extremely deep, to prove his point. The car rapidly bogged down, but through its own momentum lodged forward, down the hill.
I tried to talk him out of it, but Aaron drove right out on to the ice.
It started to crack immediately, but had that wonderful movie moment just before it all gives in. Then it collapsed, and we plunged into the water. I had my belt off, and fought for air... but I just left Aaron there. It was a shallow pond, so it only took a moment before I could come back for him, but the door wouldn't budge. I pounded on the window uselessly. Aaron just sat there, buckled in. Quite happy to remain.
I took another breath, and used my pocketknife screwdriver to break the window. Then I cut the belt and hauled him to the surface. He seemed completely unaffected by the experience or the water.
“Why did you leave me down there,” he asked, “twice?”
“I got you out,” I tried to argue, “I came back.”
“TV Dinners,” he said, “halfway efforts. No greater love has a man than this.... And you don't have it. You do not love.”
I don't know exactly what it means, but this was an incriminating dream. I don't like it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment