Saturday, June 6, 2009

What was your first thought? 

I suppose the most literal answer is probably forgotten, but I'm wondering about the nature of the internal monologue. When is the first time your realized you'd thought of something? What was your realization? 

Mine was in kindergarten, I think, or the year before it. They were both at the same school, which I attended three days a week, or so. I recall making bumble bees with far too much Elmer's glue. There was a really big tree with a split trunk so near the ground we could easily climb up and stand in it. For some reason, it was the 'window' of our 'ice cream store.' I think the frozen treats were made of dirt. That's the setting.  

I honestly can't remember the exact events that led to that moment. I think I hurt someone's feelings, or angered them. Probably both. My realization was that my emotional state was not automatically shared by people around me. Sounds simple enough, but I've seen “adults” who, in one moment or another, fail to grasp the concept. I call it the Kindergarten Fallacy (I don't know if I've even explained this to anyone, but there it is). When I'm mad, it doesn't' mean anyone else is. When someone else is crying, they're sad, but it doesn't mean I am too. 

With that simple beginning, a world of awareness began to open. Once I realized people felt differently than I do, I realized they thought differently too. I think the revelation was something like self awareness; as groundbreaking at least. To first realize the fundamentally individual nature of humanity is fairly profound. People suddenly matter, not just because you can interact with them, but because they're... unique. Just like I am, except by free will, entirely different.  

Perhaps I'm reading too much into the memory. It has been some twenty years since then, and only now have I bothered to codify it. I can't recall any other details, which means I can't remember much at all. But perhaps there is really something significant for me in that moment. What's your's?

1 comment:

  1. That's quite a revelation to have that young. I don't remember when I first realized that... I don't remember my first though, I just have a few bright memories from being young. I remember being very little and praying the salvation prayer and then running out to the living room and jumping up and down on a chair and telling my mom excitedly that "I got saved! I got saved!". She was on the phone at the time and she just kind of nodded at me and shushed me. I remember being very confused and sad at how mom wasn't as excited as me. Maybe that's the same sort of revelation you were talking about. It seems to be the kind of thing that many people forget as they get older, or at least ignore.

    ReplyDelete