The World is Drowning in Stories,
a myriad myriad's known
from Heracles*, Hamlet and Dante,
the typewritten ages have grown.
Now selves stuffed with Potter and Edward,
attract the investi'give** host.
Disney alone remembers Kipling,
What would you tell to Anderson's ghost?
I might say, not all stories are legends,
or entertainment is value enough.
Perhaps profit is sufficient motive;
that's a lie, but I might play form the rough.***
I must tell him I'm drowning in stories,
they fill my harddrive, my heart and my brain.
I don't care if the world needs to hear them,
for my new legends, I cannot refrain.
*(hair-ah-klese)
**(investigative)
***(Oh, the punishment! But seriously, who rhymes a word enough in ugh? Seriously, it doesn't rhyme with most words that in in ugh. Although...)
Why do you want to write? All the good stories have been written. You can not hope to read even a significant portion of them, what can you possible add to them?
My choice is not “write or do not write,” but “create or die,” because those who can create and choose not to are already dead. There are many ways to create; shape the landscape or the mind of a child, but even the artless must make something. I believe that is the greatest truth about Genesis: a creative God made us in his image, therefore we are to wonder at creation, and in our own way, in turn, to create. Even if it is bad. Like my poetry. Or my puns.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Oy your rhymes... It's not that bad, I only winced once or twice. :D
ReplyDeleteIs anything truly original though? That's what the writer of Ecclesiastes knew, that no original things remain to be created. But perhaps no one has said it quite exactly like you. Maybe nobody has had quite the same thoughts as you or the same ideas. Isn't all art based on that? And creation is the real purpose of life I think. I think you're right, we're all driven to create in some form. Maybe not most of us are driven to create in words, but it does seem a good way to do it. I don't know what way is mine... And don't downplay your skill. I'm sure you know part of being good at something is raw talent (which you have) and practice (which you're working on). I'm glad you've found your method of creation. ^_^