Sunday, May 17, 2009

Opening Comments

This is the third major edit to my novel. The working title is "Wizard's Son." I don't like this title. I just made it up. I am defiantly taking suggestions. I feel very silly writing to publishers before I've even named the thing.

The novel is a story about cultures. It is about beliefs, their power, the need to question them, and the danger of doing so. It is about the rise of an empire. It is about the defense of a way of life. Yes, it is also about elves and goblins, orcs, dwarves and dragons, magic and spells, about great battles and larger wars. In short, this is a work of fantasy. 

I'm organizing the novel by chapters, but they are not precisely sequential. Each will be in the format “X.Y,” where X indicates the topic or group being discussed and Y indicates the chronological sequence of that post. If I need to, I'll add a suffix (a, b, &c.) to the Y term. This indicates a retcon. 

0.Y is the ancient world, the background to this novel.
1.Y is the recent past, and anything pertaining to Aytheur before Kael-Monjaro
2.Y pertains to the battle of Fuspmar
3.Y takes place in and around Kael-Monjaro
4.Y focuses on the Kliet following the battle of Fuspmar, or on Bharrak.
5.Y pertains to Eth and Nerual. 

In addition to the novel, I'll also make an effort to post encyclopedia-type entries and cast descriptions. This is a pretty complicated group of ideas. Contradictions and errors will probably enter the manuscript as I assemble it, so these entires will serve to keep track of all the random stuff I've made up.

No comments:

Post a Comment